You probably don’t need such an advanced home networking device like the ASUS RT-AC68U Dual-band Wireless-AC1900 Gigabit Router, but you want it, and when you get it, you’ll love it.
The router boasts a fast 800MHz dual-core processor and supports a Wi-Fi chip that offers up to 1.3Gbps speed on the 5GHz frequency band and up to 600Mbps on the 2.4GHz band. It also comes with a firmware (ASUSWRT web-based interface) that adds a host of features.
The fastest Wi-Fi router to date by a significant margin, and also a fun router to use. It basically has everything you’d want from an excellent router, for both homes and small businesses.
On the inside, boasting the Broadcom BCM4709 Wi-Fi chipset, an Arm Cortex A9 dual-core 800MHz CPU, and 256MB of DDR RAM. This is the first router I’ve seen with these high-end specs. The RT-AC68U also includes two USB ports, one of which supports USB 3.0.
The most interesting of the above components is the Broadcom BCM4709 chipset, which includes the proprietary TurboQAM technology. This chip offers 802.11ac up to 1.3Gbps, which is not new, but for 802.11n on the 2.4GHz frequency, it now offers up to 600Mbps (up from the old 450Mbps cap speed). With TurboQAM, each 2.4GHz spatial stream can deliver up to 200Mbps instead of 150Mbps. Needless to say, this chip offers more benefits to the now aging 2.4GHz Wi-Fi than the newer 5GHz Wi-Fi, though you need a TurboQAM-compatible wireless client to really take advantage of it. Current and legacy clients will also see better performance, though not as significant.
The router has four LAN ports for wired clients and one WAN port to connect to an Internet source, such as a fiber modem. All of these ports are Gigabit Ethernet, which is a must for a fast local network with superfast Internet connection. In addition to being a router, the RT-AC68U can be used as an access point or a media bridge (you can choose among these roles via its Web interface, in Wireless section under Advanced Settings), and when it’s not working as a router, the WAN port can also be used as another LAN port.
- H/W Ver. A2 (09 October 2013)
- FCC ID: MSQ-RTAC68U
- IC ID: 3568A-RTAC68U
- MIMO config: 3×3:3
- Stock bootloader: CFE 184.108.40.206
- Stock FW OS: Linux 2.6.36 brcmarm
- CPU: Broadcom BCM4708A0 (800MHz, 2 cores)
- Flash Chip: 128 MB (Spansion S34ML01G100TFI00)
- RAM Chip: 256 MB (ESMT M15F2G16128A-ADB, DDR3 533-666MHz)
- Wireless No1: Broadcom BCM4360 w/ 3×3 MIMO for 5GHz 802.11a/n/ac
- Wireless No2: Broadcom BCM4360 w/ 3×3 MIMO for 2.4GHz 802.11b/g/n
- Switch: Broadcom BCM4708A0 integrated 8-port Gigabit switch with 5x PHY, 3x VLAN
- Power Supply: 19 VDC, 1.75 A
- Firmware: ASUSWRT web-based interface
- Monitor and manage your network with ease from your mobile device using the intuitive ASUS Router App
- RT-AC68U is one of the world’s fastest Wi-Fi router, with combined dual-band data rates of up to 1900 Mbps. The 5 GHz band delivers 1300 Mbps 802.11ac for Gigabit wireless data rates, while the super-charged 2.4 GHz 802.11n provides up to 600 Mbps.
- With built-in USB 3.0 and USB 2.0 ports, you can connect USB-enabled devices, such as external storage drives, printers, or a 3G/4G dongle to your ASUS router and share them via Wi-Fi while AiProtection powered by Trend Micro keeps your network secure.